The Kitchen Prep: One Zucchini, Two Zucchini...

Thursday, April 19, 2012

One Zucchini, Two Zucchini...



Scenario: You open your fridge and discover that you have an excess amount of zucchini on the verge of spoiling. In an effort to use it up, you:

A. Prepare a zucchini based meal for dinner.
B. Close the refrigerator and order take out.
C. Grate it, add a few cups of sugar, and make these:



We eat tons of zucchini and we can never get enough. Naturally, it wasn't long before I discovered that the veggie that I love to eat in savory dishes could easily be transformed into a sweet snack as well. {Sugar always finds a way in this house.}

I've made lots of versions of Zucchini Bread in the past, but I've got to tell you... this one is my favorite.

Normally, I barely consume any of the baked goods I make. These muffins are the exception. I have eaten almost every last one... all by myself.

They have been a fantastic accompaniment to my morning cup of coffee, the perfect afternoon snack before heading to work, and a great solution for my sweet craving after dinner. {Note: I limit one per day.}



The combination of chocolate and orange is SO scrumptious. And the little hint of cinnamon and nutmeg gives these just a tiny bit of warmth. Like I said, so good.

So, don't be afraid to buy a few extra pieces of zucchini next time you're at the grocery store. I promise you will find a way to use them all up.

Orange Scented Zucchini Chip Bread
adapted from Taste of Home: Complete Guide to Baking

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated orange peel {from one large orange}
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup mini {or regular} semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-in. x 5-in.loaf pans {alternately, you can turn these into muffins and alter cooking time accordingly}. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking powder.

In another bowl, beat the eggs, applesauce, oil, orange zest, and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. {Do not overmix}. Fold in zucchini and chocolate.

Divide mixture evenly between greased loaf pans, or muffin tins. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. {Or 18-20 minutes for muffins. Just keep an eye on them.} Cool for 20 minutes before removing from loaf pans. {Or remove from muffin tins & place on cooling rack for muffins.}


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes me happy! Thanks for reading and commenting!

 photo cred.jpg