The Kitchen Prep: When Life Hands You Lemons...

Friday, April 8, 2011

When Life Hands You Lemons...

Make Buttermilk Lemon Poundcake, obviously. ;)

This has been a busy week in our little household. For starters, I began a new job this week and have had far less time {and energy} than usual to spend in the kitchen. So, when I tell you that today's recipe comes together quickly and easily, I'm not joshin'.

I whipped up this poundcake as I was getting ready for work, and while it took a smidge longer to bake than indicated in the recipe, it still was pretty easy and low maintenance. Truthfully, I wasn't initially thrilled with the look of it in the pan {mine didn't get that domed look of most loaf pan recipes}, but as you can see, it cuts into pretty slices with a tasty sugary crust.


Look at me gettin' fancy with a lemon wheel. ;)
 With Springtime's arrival, I've been in a very bright and citrusy mood {culinarily, anyway} and this poundcake most definitely reflects that. This particular recipe is subtly sweet. It has directions for a Lemon Syrup to drizzle or brush on top, but I found that it was just as perfect without it. I've had a sliver for breakfast, and also enjoyed a slice as dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream up on top. Scrumptious both ways.

I see this recipe making a great addition to a Spring brunch menu... or for any plain ol' day of the week. So go ahead and welcome Spring to your palate.

Lemon Buttermilk Poundcake
Slightly adapted from Fine Cooking.com

You'll Need:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup) unsalted butter, slightly soft

1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped or grated

For the syrup:
Juice of 1 lemon
3 to 4 Tbs. confectioners’ sugar


Directions:

1.Heat the oven to 325°F. Spray a loaf pan that’s about 8x5x3 inches with a nonstick coating.

2.Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until well blended. With an electric mixer, beat the butter until it’s very pale and little tails have formed. Sprinkle in the sugar and beat well until slightly fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl well.

3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until blended before adding the next. Add teaspoon of vanilla. With the mixer on low, add about one-third of the flour and mix until almost combined; then add half the buttermilk and mix until just combined. Repeat with another third of flour, and then the last half of the buttermilk, ending with the last third of the flour.

4. Just before all the flour is incorporated, switch from the mixer to a stiff rubber spatula, add the lemon zest, and slowly stir to blend in the flour and zest, taking care to scrape the bowl’s bottom and sides.

5. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it when inserted in the center, 45 to 50 min. Let the cake cool for about 10 min.

Optional:

Stir together the lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar. Brush or pour onto poundcake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes me happy! Thanks for reading and commenting!

 photo cred.jpg