The excitement of back-to-school time is in the air!
Whether you are hoarding tissues in your glove compartment because you can't believe your baby is growing up, or you're doing a happy dance in celebration of the fact that the long {looooong} days of summer have finally come to an end, there's no denying that it's time to pack those book bags and send kids on their way.
In my pre-food blogger life, I was an elementary school teacher. And let me tell you, as happy as I was to meet new students and start with a fresh slate every year, it could also be pretty stressful.
Not only was there lesson planning, establishing rules and procedures and setting expectations, but there was also keeping track of supplies and inventory of classroom necessities. Many necessities that I payed for out of my own pocket!
![]() |
| My teacher-y days! I'm all official holding a file folder. |
In districts across the U.S., there is a serious need for help in covering the costs of educating thousands of children, let alone providing them with any of the extras that make learning fun. Many teachers take it upon themselves to dig into their pockets and shell out some of their own earnings to contribute to the learning environment of their classrooms and their schools. You may not believe it, but there were times my students clamored over who got to use "the good eraser" or worked harder just to earn a sticker or a small prize, often times because they didn't have very much at home.
Whether my school was able to reimburse me or not, I always made sure to have everything I needed for the kind of classroom that felt welcoming to my students. Now that I have a kiddo of my own, I'm even more invested in finding ways to help schools meet their needs and provide them with a helping hand. Luckily, programs like Box Tops for Education create ways to involve schools and communities in being part of the solution!
I'm embarrassed to say so, but I'm a total Box Tops for Education rookie. I mean, I've clipped a box top or two. But even though more than 80,000 K-8 schools participate, I never really knew a whole lot about the program until recently.
Did you know that each box top is worth 10 cents? And, while a dime may not seem like a whole lot to you, multiplied times all the families in a school, they can sure add up quickly!
In honor of my newfound knowledge, I went on a shopping excursion at my local Walmart to pick up some General Mills products {currently offering bonus Box Tops!} for creative recipe inspiration. My cart companion was a little grumpy and quite shocked when I told him that we were actually helping a school earn money by grocery shopping!
The classic Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios and Nature's Valley Granola Bars called to me... I must've been in a breakfasty state of mind!
They sure did cheer up Cole, too...
Did you know that each box top is worth 10 cents? And, while a dime may not seem like a whole lot to you, multiplied times all the families in a school, they can sure add up quickly!
In honor of my newfound knowledge, I went on a shopping excursion at my local Walmart to pick up some General Mills products {currently offering bonus Box Tops!} for creative recipe inspiration. My cart companion was a little grumpy and quite shocked when I told him that we were actually helping a school earn money by grocery shopping!
| "Say whaaaat, mama?" |
They sure did cheer up Cole, too...
| "Hey look! BONUS Box Tops!" |
It almost seems too good to be true that many of the items we buy on a weekly or monthly basis -- pantry staples, treats, and ingredients for some of our favorite recipes -- come with the added perk of earning money for schools. It's a two for one, really! And the only extra step that it requires from you is a few seconds with a pair of scissors before you toss that box into the recycling bin. {Which, by the way, can totally be delegated to one of the kids as part of their responsibilities!}
That tiny bit of effort can grow into one BIG contribution for a school {up to $20,000 per year, in fact!} when everyone bands together and participates, which is pretty cool if you ask me. New books. Manipulatives. Computers. Playground equipment. School activities and parties. The possibilities are endless! And so is the gratitude from the folks who work hard to make school a place kids want to be. {Take it from me. Teachers are so grateful for helpers!}
I have a super fun post coming up very soon about how to get your family, friends and community involved in collecting Box Tops... while having a blast doing so! Keep an eye out for what Cole and I whipped up in the kitchen with one of our purchases!
Do you collect Box Tops for your school?

0 comments:
Post a Comment
Hearing from you makes me happy! Thanks for reading and commenting!