Monday, December 15, 2014
Chocolate Dipped Maraschino Cherry Cookies
I wasn't sure if I'd be able to take part in this year's Food Blogger Cookie Swap with a tiny one in tow, but I'm sure glad I signed up despite my initial doubtfulness. I mean, who wouldn't want to be part of something where you get cookies in the mail??? AND help out a great cause, to boot!
I have to admit, finding time to bake with a baby who is just a few weeks old was a challenge. But after some browsing through holiday baking magazines, I found a great, easy recipe that was totally doable... even between feedings, diaper changes and all those other baby odds and ends that need to be constantly tended to.
Chocolate Dipped Maraschino Cherry Cookies
These simple cookies get a festive look from chopped maraschino cherries {an ingredient I almost never have, but happened to find from another project in my pantry}. The red speckles give the cookies a decorative touch without much effort. To fancy them up, a little dip in a melted chocolate bath give them a luxurious feel that makes them gift-worthy!
If you're short on time but need pretty cookies for a holiday gathering or for gift giving, these are the perfect solution.
I was a lucky girl to be matched with Plating Pixels, The Housewife in Training Files and Authentic Suburban Gourmet as my cookie-sending pals.
From Plating Pixels, I received these amazing Almond Tangerine Butter Cookies. They were pure citrusy perfection!
From The Housewife in Training Files, I got these incredible Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies. So rich and chocolatey, it's hard to believe they're made without any flour!
And from The Authentic Suburban Gourmet, these Cranberry & Orange Shortbread Cookies arrived on my doorstep. The combination of zesty orange and chewy, tart cranberries tastes like a holiday, for sure.
A big thank you to these three bloggers for making my mailbox a little merrier!
It's officially time to crank up those ovens and get to baking for the holiday, and now you have a few great recipes to get you started!
If you're a food blogger and you'd like to participate in next year's Food Blogger Cookie Swap, make sure to sign up on their website to receive info about how to get in on the fun next time around!
Chocolate Dipped Maraschino Cherry Cookies
Adapted from Land O Lakes Recipe Collection Holiday Cookies Magazine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries {rinse and drain before chopping}
3.5 ounces dark chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
2. Cream together butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again until well-combined.
4. Slowly add flour, baking powder and salt, mixing at low speed until just incorporated. Stir in cherries until well distributed throughout the dough-- if you mix too much your cookies will be completely pink.
5. With a cookie scoop or a tablespoon measure, scoop dough and drop onto prepared baking pan leaving about 1 1/2 to 2 inches between cookies. Bake for about 9 to 11 minutes or until cookies are set and edges just begin to brown.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely.
7. When ready to dip, prepare a baking pan with a piece of parchment or silicone baking mat. Dip each cookie half way into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place on prepared baking pan and allow chocolate to set -- you can do this even quicker by placing it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.
When chocolate is set, they're ready to package!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Cherry cookies are my absolute favorite. I was so excited to receive your version! They were delicious!
I am glad that you enjoyed the Cranberry and Orange Shortbread! It was fun to send and hopefully put a smile on your face. Your cookies look divine - a must make! Love your blog and it was fun to be part of the Food Blogger Cookie Swap!
Wow, looks delicious! Happy Holidays & Merry *early* Christmas!
Post a Comment
Hearing from you makes me happy! Thanks for reading and commenting!