Monday, February 24, 2014
Saucy {Mini} Turkey Meatloaves
You guys. I bought a mandolin. :::hangs head in shame:::
This may not seem like breaking news to you, but believe me, it is a great big deal in my tiny little kitchen world. I am not a fan of kitchen gadgets. I have made this my soapbox speech for years and years, ranting about how I don't understand why in the world one would spend their hard-earned money on an item that does something that they can totally accomplish without it.
And now, this.
I bought it because my husband dear literally broke our {personalized} cutting board in half hacking sweet potato into thinly sliced pieces, and then I knew it was time. Plus, HomeGoods. I cannot escape that store without absolutely convincing myself that I NEED something that I most certainly do not need. But I digress.
Anyway, he was super excited when I brought it home because after watching an episode or two of Iron Chef or one of those crazy culinary competition shows, he decided that a mandolin is a complete necessity in life. You know, just in case you want to shave a $100 truffle {which we never have} or shred cabbage for homemade sauerkraut {which we've never made}.
So I bought it to humor him. And to show him how useless and silly of a purchase it really is.
And then... I used it. And I wanted to mandolin ALL THE THINGS. I started shredding & slicing just about everything I could get my hands on. Needless to say, we've been eating a lot of flat food.
Ugh. I hate it when I'm wrong. {Though it isn't too often.} ;)
Anyway, there is a point hidden in all this self-loathing: Meatloaf.
Did you grow up eating meatloaf? Because I didn't, and I've always been kinda happy about that. It's not something that has ever appealed to me. It's a loaf... of meat. And I -- not being much of a meat eater -- don't really understand the allure.
However, one time I saw Ina making meatloaf and suddenly I wanted to make meatloaf. Funny how that happens. I think it was because she slathered it in sauce that it looked more appetizing to me. And I do love a good sauce. So really, the whole "meatloaf" thing was just a guise... a mode of transport, if you will, for sauce.
After attending a sampling last week for a line of gourmet condiments created by Victoria Amory, I remembered how much I like saucy things. Especially when the sauce is artisanal Champagne Ketchup. I taste-tested all 9 of the fabulous flavors {like, straight up, on a spoon} and promptly bought some to take home. But you can't serve just ketchup, no matter how fancy, to a hungry husband.
So, meatloaf. {See? I told you there was a point.}
Since I'm infatuated with the mandolin, I had to let it get it on the action, too. I mandolined up some yellow squash and threw it in the mix, along with ground turkey and onions {which I just diced with a knife. I do still remember how to do that.}. I scooped the mixture into a muffin tin {because that's how I roll} and topped it all off with a saucy layer of Champagne Ketchup.
The result was juicy, saucy, flavorful little meatloaves that bore no resemblance to the "loaf" I always avoided. Or, sauce-mobiles. I have a whole new outlook on meatloaf. And mandolins. And ketchup.
And life as I know it will never be the same.
Saucy{Mini}Turkey Meatloaves
Makes about 9 mini meatloaves
1 pound ground turkey meat
1 cup yellow squash, shredded
1 cup onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons {9 teaspoons} fancy ketchup, like Victoria Amory's Champagne Ketchup
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a cupcake tin by spraying with non-stick spray. {I just use olive oil in the Misto. Yikes. Another kitchen gadget.}
2. In a large bowl, combine turkey meat, shredded squash, onion, garlic powder and salt. Mix, until thoroughly combined, but try not to overmix.
3. Using an ice cream scoop {or, you know, a spoon}, drop a scoopful of turkey mixture into each sprayed cupcake well. Slightly flatten the tops, but don't mush it down too hard.
4. Top each mini meatloaf with about a teaspoon of ketchup. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the meat is totally cooked through. Remove from oven when cooked through and allow to sit for about 5 minutes. {There will be a lot of juices & liquid in each little well. You can pour out the fat/juice if you'd like.}
Serve hot with extra ketchup for dipping.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
This looks fantastic. I like the idea to bake this in cupcake tin. I am thinking to add some cheese, chopped coriander and lemon juice. :)
@yung - Thanks so much! I like the portion control that making these in cupcake tins provides. :) They would be absolutely delicious with cheese and herbs, etc. In fact, I've already thought of several different ways I'd make these. Hope you enjoy!
OMG you are sooooo funny!! Glad you enjoyed! Keep slicin'!! xoxo
Oh my gosh Dianna I can't believe we posted meatloaf on the same day!! We must be soul sisters! Or at least meatloaf sisters...never mind let's be soul sisters.
Also, you are making me want to mandolin ALL THE THINGS. So jealous!
Your meatloaf looks really good Dianna. It doesn't even need to be a mode of transport for sauce :)
Post a Comment
Hearing from you makes me happy! Thanks for reading and commenting!