The Kitchen Prep: Hawaiian Turkey Sliders

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Hawaiian Turkey Sliders


My teacher friends are back to commiserating on Facebook and there's not a parking space to be found at Target. That can only mean one thing: The impending end of summer.

Dun, dun, DUUUUUUN!!!

{I kid, teachers. I totally remember that feeling and I mourn the loss of your vacation, too.}

Before you put away the tiki torches and pool floats, let's have just one more backyard cookout, shall we?


I know Fall is ever-popular with its warm flavor profile of cinnamon, root vegetables, and the frenzy-inducing Pumpkin Spice... I love those things just as much as the next gal.

But, there's something to be said for summer's sweet, fresh flavors, too.

When I think of summer, I think of coconut. {Maybe it's the whiff of tanning oil that's perpetually in the air during this time of year.} I think of watermelon, lime, corn, and mango. And then there's pineapple.

Pineapple is quite possibly my favorite summery flavor. Um, hello, Pina Coladas.

It's pretty irresistible cut in into gorgeous rings, blended into icy beverages, or even grilled. {Have you ever grilled pineapple. Run, don't walk, to your grill immediately if you said no. Then bust out the vanilla ice cream and serve it up with a big scoop. Drool.}

So, naturally, I had to include pineapple in this savory "farewell to summer" recipe.


I know I told you pineapple is amazing when it's grilled, but Steve's bicycle is still locked onto the grill in the garage and the key is still nowhere to be found {I'm pretty sure these things only happen to us}, so I went a different route with mine. I made this Pineapple-Onion Relish right on the stove top and, man, is it addictive.


The caramelized pineapple and onion create such a heavenly combination together. Piled on top of a tiny turkey burger nestled in a Hawaiian roll with spicy pepper jack for a kick, there's no better way to pay tribute to sweet summer days.

What flavors scream summertime to you?

Hawaiian Turkey Sliders

Pineapple-Onion Relish

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 a medium onion, diced
1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
Dash of salt

1. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.

2. Add onion and pineapple, stirring often.

3. Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until onions and pineapple are caramelized. Set aside until ready to assemble sliders.

Burgers

1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
3 slices pepper jack cheese, cut into quarters
1 package {12 count} King's Hawaiian Rolls

1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. {Or heat grill, if desired.}

2. In a large bowl gently mix together turkey, sesame oil, onion powder, garlic powder, and green onion until well combined. {Try not to overmix.}

3. Form meat into patties. {Should make about 12}

4. Place patties onto hot skillet and and cook for about 5-7 minutes on one side; flip and cook on other side until cooked through and meat is no longer pink.

To assemble sliders:

Place a slice of pepper jack on each warm slider, then top with a spoonful of Pineapple-Onion Relish. Serve on Hawaiian Rolls.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes me happy! Thanks for reading and commenting!

 photo cred.jpg