The Kitchen Prep: Strawberry-Peanut Butter Tart

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Strawberry-Peanut Butter Tart


I'm not gonna lie, folks, the recipe I'm sharing today is from the 4th of July. {Hence the stars.}

Why has it taken me so long, you ask? Well, things have been busy around here. Between opening the husband's new office, working there, working my old job, working for myself, and hardly ever being around during the weekends, there hasn't been a whole lot of extra time laying around.

I have also been eating nothing but leaves, seeds, vegetables, and fruits for the past week thanks to the silent threats of my {extremely} tight jeans... and while I thoroughly enjoy all of the above food categories, I will spare you from my self inflicted restrictions.

The irony here is that, during times when I'm on my best nutritional behavior, I tend to have the most creative, most decadent recipe ideas. {There are a handful I'm thinking of at this very moment that I can't wait to try out once my jeans and butt start to get along again}.

I liken it to roaming through the blazing desert and having hallucinations of an oasis. A body deprived of sugar will start to imagine all kinds of good stuff.


The mind is a funny thing.

Anyway, this Strawberry-Peanut Butter Tart is no hallucination. It's real, it's easy, and it's good.


Like a giant peanut butter cookie slathered with strawberry jam, this tart is just another {delicious} way to get a PB & J fix.


Sometimes simple really is best.

I'll be sure to write down all of my recipe fantasies this week so I'll have some fun stuff to share once I am out of the desert I allow myself to indulge a little again.

In the meantime, hold yourself over with this tart. :)

Strawberry-Peanut Butter Tart
Adapted from Food Network Magazine

1 1/2 sticks butter {12 tablespoons}, softened
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour {you may need a bit more if dough is not stiff enough}
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup peanut butter {creamy or crunchy, whichever you prefer}
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a fluted tart pan {with removal bottom} with non-stick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl ,whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine butter, peanut butter, granulated and confectioners' sugars, beaing until well incorporated and smooth. Stir in egg and vanilla.

Add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture a little at a time and combine until a soft dough forms. {If the dough is too wet, add a little more flour. I had to, but it may have been because I forgot to leave my butter out to soften and it became slightly melted when I softened it in the microwave.}

Take half of the dough, and press into bottom of prepared tart pan and up the sides. Spoon strawberry jam in the center of the dough, and spread carefully, leaving a 1/2 inch border all the way around. With half of the remaining dough, create a rim around the tart, pressing carefully to adhere.

Using the other half of the dough, create shapes {if desired}, balls, or dollop by the spoonful over the top of the jam.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden around the edge of the crust.

Remove from oven and allow tart to cool for about 15-20 minute. Carefully remove ring and transfer to a serving plate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes me happy! Thanks for reading and commenting!

 photo cred.jpg